Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Favorite Place: Sweden -- Stockholm and Göteborg

I spent a year and a half living in Stockholm from 2014-2016. While I was technically studying abroad there, it was part of my master plan to move there permanently, assimilate into Swedish society, and reconstruct my identity as Swedish (crazy, I know!!). Despite the realization that I can be a part of an international community without completely severing myself from other internalized aspects of my cultural identity, my time in Sweden shaped who I am and there is a very special place in my heart for certain places in Sweden.

Stockholm's Old Town (Vicky Carlsson: Flickr)

Göteborg's archipelago (Personal photo: taken in April 2015 with 120mm film. The double exposure on the left was from an old monastery.)

1 comment:

  1. It made me smile just to see this post, Sarah! Even though I only made one trip to Stockholm, and it was a very long time ago (1986: wow, 30 years!), I had such a fantastic time there, and your picture of the Old Town conjured up those memories instantly. How great that you were able to actually live there! And thank you for giving me an excuse to remember some really great times from back in the summer of 1986 in that beautiful city! :-)

    ReplyDelete