Friday, August 26, 2016

Introduction to a "Free Spirit"

I must start with saying that I am being self-parodic and I understand how kitschy the term "free spirit" is... 

Not that it’s easy for anyone to choose what they want to do, I have always felt flighty and passionate and torn in a million directions. Although I am learning to embrace it now, when confronted with introductions in which I am instructed to title myself in some way – or choose one or two things to define myself as, I almost always feel overwhelmed by limiting myself in that way. I am very passionate about a lot of things. I hate staying in one place and I always want to explore (literally and metaphorically).

As anyone can, I could probably go on for several thousand words talking about my interests and passions, so here's a few buzzwords to try to limit myself: musician, barista, yoga teacher, traveler, linguist, artist, knitter, bookworm

Profiling myself into the broadest category possible, I am an artist and I love art // I strive to live and experience all of senses to the greatest extent possible which necessitates the communicative and expressive qualities of art.

I love music and the transportive and immersive nature of making and listening to soundscapes // those around us and those which are composed, improvised, recorded, etc.
I have sung in choirs and as a soloist since I was a small child and I consider vocals to be my primary instrument .. or at least that which is most influential on my understanding of music. I also play the harp and a little bit of guitar, piano, ukulele, and I can work with percussion if I feel inspired. Lately I’ve been working with effect pedals and exploring augmented and synthesized sounds.

I also love the sound of languages – which is part of why I majored in Linguistics. I am fascinated by the zany sounds our mouths can make and our brains can distinguish!

Moreover, WORDS OMG! Wow! Words are insane.

I understand art of touch as working with the body in a variety of ways inclusive of yoga, massage therapy, and textiles for starters. I practice and teach yoga and am also learning more about bodywork and the healing power of touch. Yoga and bodywork can be just as beautiful and cathartic as listening to Basinski’s disintegration loops or looking at an original Van Gogh painting

I also love to travel. In fact, I am leaving for Canada for three weeks next Wednesday! I'll post some pics to my posts while I am there :~)

Me and my kitten, Lilla My (named after a character from the Moomins), on a walk in Stockholm

Doing sirasana at Vallentuna lake

Walking my friend's doggo in Sutton Wilderness

1 comment:

  1. "Baker". You forgot "baker". You're allowed to choose your own online image, of course, but I have yet to meet the match of your vegan lavender/Earl Gray cookies. Just saying.
    I absolutely can identify with the discomfort of trying to define yourself in a limited space. That's like, a lifelong effort that I'm not even sure I'm making headway on. But "traveler", at least, seems to hint at the immense variety and variability of self.
    I can't wait to see some of your Canada photos! I'm going to hold you to that promise.

    ReplyDelete